Here’s our recipe for the ultimate vegan chocolate nut brownies. These brownies have a rich chocolate flavour and the protein content is enhanced by using our high protein content chocolate and lots of nuts.
100% Plant-Based Vegan Chocolate Nut Brownies
(prep 10-15 minutes and cook time 20 minutes). Makes 16 brownie slices.
- 270g Rebel Chocolate “Peanut Power” chocolate (3 x 90g bars)
- 250g self-raising flour (or plain flour + 1 tsp baking powder)
- 290g demerara sugar (other cane sugars are fine also)
- ½ tsp of salt.
- 250ml soya milk
- 140ml vegetable oil
- 200g mixed nuts, or just one nut type, as you prefer
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/gas 4 and grease, or greaseproof paper line, an appropriate sized baking dish. We used a 20cm x 30cm dish, but we would not go larger than this.
- Melt the chocolate: Break the chocolate into pieces and place in a heat-proof bowl. You just want to melt the chocolate, and any method that works for you is fine. However, if you are not experienced in using a microwave to melt chocolate then this might be best avoided. Microwaves can heat localised areas quickly and this can cause the chocolate to burn. A more controllable approach is to use the bain marie method. Here you place your bowl of chocolate pieces over a pot of very gently simmering water.
- Mix the remaining ingredients: Mix the flour, sugar and salt together then add in the oil and soya milk. We used an electric mixer so as to avoid any nasty lumps.
- When you are happy that the ingredients in “3” above are lump free add in the nuts and then mix this slowly together with the melted chocolate. We kept aside a small handful of the nuts to add around the top of the mixture once poured into the baking dish.
- Finally, add the whole mixture into the baking dish and place into the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes. Now, we are chocolate makers, and not bakers, so to check the brownies readiness we used the old fashioned method of stabbing it with a sharp knife and making sure there was no runny mixture still on the blade.
- Once baked, let the brownie sit for 5 minutes and then turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
Slice and eat warm or save for later. Enjoy!